Pale Moon With A Built-In Email Client

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Pale Moon With A Built-In Email Client

Unread post by Night Wing » 2011-11-13, 17:03

Although I fully expect this "suggestion" has a 99.99% chance of being shot down as soon as it's been read by Moonchild, since this is a Suggeston/Feature Requests forum, I fingered "why not" indulge myself. :mrgreen:

For 4 years my default browser was the SeaMonkey browser and the reason I chose SeaMonkey was because it looked like the old Netscape I was so familiar with in the middle 90's and it has a great built-in Email client. Both browser and email client were easy to work with.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

The last and easiest SM version to work with for a non technical (computer illiterate) person like myself was (v2.0.14) which can still be downloaded on the SeaMonkey Project site. SM versions 2.1 through 2.4, the new Data Manager the SM developers put in.....is the absolute "pitts" to work with. :x The new Data Manager makes a non technical (computer illiterate) person jump through hoops to accomplish things like deleting a single cookie. :evil:

The only other browser with an email client built into the browser is Opera, but Opera doesn't have an extension for an IE tab which I have to have for two sites so I don't use Opera. Firefox does and so does Pale Moon which is the IE Tab V2. SeaMonkey uses a different IE tab extension called (IE Tab +) and this allows me to get into my Hotmail email account. Firefox has a separate email program called Thunderbird, but I never cared for it. It just never appealed to me since it was separate. SeaMonkey's email client is built into the browser and lets one put in the POP 3, incoming server name (mail.comcast.net...for me), outgoing server name (smtp.comcast.net....for me) user name and password. The port number of 110 and another number of 587 is by default and I've never changed it. All I did was call my IP provider (Comcast) to get the above essential data needed.

Now, when I'm using the Pale Moon or Firefox browser, if I come upon a photograph I want to "poach" and add to my collection, I right click on the photo, a default SeaMonkey box pops up with some prompts such as "Save as" or "Send image", etc. When I click on "Send image", the SeaMonkey default email client pops up and I send the photo to myself at one of my four email addresses and I usually use the "My Way" or "Excite" portals. I then transfer the the email containing the photo's link or the photo itself to a photo folder. If my hard drive ever fails, the photo is stored at my My Way or Excite portals where I have a customized home start page for each portal.

It would be nice to have an email client incorporated into the Pale Moon browser, but I suspect this would take a lot of time plus lots of hard work and for a busy person with a heavy schedule, probably not feasible. But hey, I just had to ask. :P If this could be done, the non technical (computer illiterate) people like myself would be tickled pink since the SM developers (in my opinion) have ruined the SM browser when they came out with versions 2.1 though 2.4 (soon to be 2.5) because of the very hard to work with Data Manager.

Pale Moon would definitely stand out from Firefox (and Opera) and I would image, many SeaMonkey users would abandon SeaMonkey for Pale Moon once word got it about the built in email client. There aren't many Pesonas or Themes that work with SeaMonkey anymore. Since Firefox Personas and Themes work with Pale Moon, this would be an added bonus for people still running any old outdated versions of SeaMonkey (like me).

Just food for thought.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon With A Built-In Email Client

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-13, 17:49

Unfortunately, you can't just mix and match different versions of the code.
In the end it would mean pretty much doubling the Browser to include a separate back-end for the mail part -- kind of defeats the point of integrating the two. You can always run the mail client separate. (safer, anyway, if you ask me - the mail client doesn't need the same liberties for on-line content, to begin with - and why does a mail client need browser cookies? that's just bad)

I'm not "shooting you down" but it's just technically not possible.

By the way, there are very interesting add-ons that will let you do what you want. Including a full-fledged integrated simple e-mail client that runs in Pale Moon tabs: http://userlogos.org/extensions/simplemail
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2011-11-13, 19:31

As a suggestion, I knew it was both a long shot and a shot in the dark since I kind of figured it wasn't really technically feasible, but I had nothing else to do today. At least I got some "typing exercise" in. ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-11-13, 20:06

Night Wing wrote:As a suggestion, I knew it was both a long shot and a shot in the dark since I kind of figured it wasn't really technically feasible, but I had nothing else to do today. At least I got some "typing exercise" in. ;)
My method is to log-in into my Yahoo! e-mail account then Pin Tab. Always there when the browser loads, time-saver. :)