Any chance of getting "Inspect Element"?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Kenny

Any chance of getting "Inspect Element"?

Unread post by Kenny » 2013-01-16, 02:29

Just curious if there was any chance of Pale Moon getting the "Inspect Element" option? This is the one and only reason I'm not using Pale Moon exclusively yet. When I'm doing any kind of web development tasks, I find myself required to revert to Firefox just for the Inspect Element feature available in the right click menu. Perhaps there is a way of enabling it in Pale Moon through the config options? I realize there are the Firebug and Web Developer add-ons available, but the Inspect Element feature built-in to Firefox is much more beneficial for a quick look at what's happening code wise. Thanks for your time!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Any chance of getting "Inspect Element"?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-16, 08:52

Firebug does have the context menu entry "Inspect element with firebug" which would be just as quick...
I do recommend using the much more complete add-on Firebug if you are serious about web development with Pale Moon.

That being said, I'm actually working on an advanced options add-on that, among other things, will have the option to enable developer tools built into the Mozilla code base. The code for these developer tools is still present in Pale Moon (because other parts of the browser have some odd dependencies on them), but it has been disabled by default (and I won't give support for them if enabled, they are "as-is" pieces of code). I'll make a point of making a work-in-progress version available when I have the time, that has this implemented already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-01-20, 01:48

Moonchild wrote:....I'm actually working on an advanced options add-on that, among other things, will have the option to enable developer tools built into the Mozilla code base.
As promised Moonchild posted Pale Moon Commander (beta) info & link here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1920 Once installed (normal Add-on - just click the offered link on "Pale Moon Works in Progress" page to initiate install sequence) open "Advanced Options" (bottom of "Options" drop-down menu) and navigate to Other>Tools>tick "Enable inspector" box>Restart Pale Moon.... and you are in business.... or should that be development? :geek:

Curiously the "Inspect Element" tool is/was always available via it's keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+I athough it should not have been when disabled.... as discussed in "Firefox HTML Inspector still available" topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1541 :)

lavabo

Unread post by lavabo » 2016-02-09, 05:59

Blacklab wrote:
Moonchild wrote:navigate to Other>Tools>tick "Enable inspector" box>Restart Pale Moon.... and you are in business.... or should that be development?
I do not see the possibility to enable the inspector. Has it been removed for good ?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-02-09, 07:21

Why don't you just use Element Inspector: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/web-development/. If that's what your looking for.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-02-09, 07:56

lavabo wrote:I do not see the possibility to enable the inspector. Has it been removed for good ?
Just press F12 to open the web developer tools. There should be a "Inspector" tab - if not, then just click the gear on the left and enable the Inspector there. There's no need to enable the tools via Pale Moon Commander anymore. (Or at least, I don't remember I had to.)
If you cannot access the web developer tools at all, maybe you're using an optimized build of Pale Moon (i.e., the Atom/WinXP version) which does not contain those tools.
LimboSlam wrote:Why don't you just use Element Inspector: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/web-development/. If that's what your looking for.
If I understand the description correctly, this addon only adds an additional shortcut for opening the Element Inspector.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-09, 16:22

That extension is to be used with DOMi not our built in devtools.. We already have 'Inspect Element'. Highlight a part of the page.. right click.. it is there!