No Facebook integration

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Eclipsed

No Facebook integration

Unread post by Eclipsed » 2012-11-23, 01:07

Please keep automatic social media integration out of Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: No Facebook integration

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-23, 11:20

There is no intention to integrate social media into Pale Moon - that should be left a free choice (and not biased to a short list) and is best done with one of the many many available add-ons ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-11-23, 12:22

On a side note, I keep the social integration toolbar out of Firefox v17.0 by blocking the Facebook website via the hosts file from both of my computers. I did this because some people who use my computers, they have a tendency to use Firefox as their browser choice. I didn't want them accidentally getting redirected to Facebook via a link. By using the hosts file and blocking Facebook, I don't have to worry about the Facebook "Turn On" button putting that toolbar into the Firefox browser.

I'll do the same thing for Twitter and other social sites when these social sites can put their social buttons into Firefox. From looking at what buttons Facebook puts into the social toolbar, when other sites will be able to put their social button into that toolbar, that is going to be one l-o-n-g toolbar taking up lots of space.

If Pale Moon had followed Firefox's lead into social integration, I was planning to do the same thing with Pale Moon. I'm glad Pale Moon didn't go the social route.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-11-23, 13:05

Yep, the first thing I did with FF 17 was to turn off the Facebook site, once again it is a case of Mozilla trying to do too many things with their browser to please too many people.

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2012-11-23, 19:10

Moonchild wrote:There is no intention to integrate social media into Pale Moon - that should be left a free choice (and not biased to a short list) and is best done with one of the many many available add-ons ;)
Thanks Moonchild for not integrating social media into Pale Moon. I don't use any social media and love a lean browser and therefore Pale Moon fits the bill perfectly. :clap:

dcurrey

Unread post by dcurrey » 2012-11-24, 04:06

I am new to Pale Moon and am glad to hear that the social api will not be included.

For the life of me can't figure out why Mozilla just didn't develop it as an add on.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-11-24, 12:36

dcurrey wrote:I am new to Pale Moon and am glad to hear that the social api will not be included.

For the life of me can't figure out why Mozilla just didn't develop it as an add on.
I have a hunch it involved...............MONEY...........from Facebook.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rathodh61

No Facebook integration

Unread post by rathodh61 » 2013-07-03, 12:31

Hello Guise. I am completely new to Pale Moon but I am glad to hear that the social apps will not be included here. I am happy to use this present Pale Moon. :thumbup:

26F36DD

Unread post by 26F36DD » 2013-07-03, 13:27

I like it better without Facebook constantly being in my face. I always thought it was stupid and if I changed my mind I could just go there. I don't want my browser trying to spy on me too.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-07-04, 01:02

Maybe not related to Pale Moon directly but I can tell why is wise not have Facebook integration around. I use Trillian and for avoid to hide from some friends in Facebook I did installed the messenger part of Facebook. The trouble is that when I need to consult Facebook directly in Palemoon Trillian and the web side of Facebook battle to tell me the notifications twice! So I need to close Trillian for focus in the website.

Imagine now If you have Facebook integration and need to see the web page for some reason... BOOOM! No thanks. So why I love Pale Moon is like to use a Lego browser, I can add the pieces I need to made my own browser. :D

rathodh61

No Facebook integration

Unread post by rathodh61 » 2013-07-08, 11:30

I agree with you 26F36DD. I also hate facebook at this forum. My opinion is that Palemoon is better without facebook apps.

26F36DD

Unread post by 26F36DD » 2013-07-11, 09:42

All the monkey-see-monkey-do sheeople already have their faces buried in their phones refreshing Facebook and Twitter 24/7. Just what would more integration accomplish anyways?

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-09-14, 22:02

How about the "Services" tab in about:addons anyway? No Social API, no service add-ons, right?

Evil Moo

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2013-09-15, 12:53

See this post here.
Moonchild wrote:Social integration is an option in Pale Moon for people who really, really, really want it.
The entire social API is, however, disabled by default.

Because the potential support is there for people who insist, the UI caters to this support. So, the Add-ons -> Services tab is there, but unless you enable the API through about:config -> social.enabled, nothing will ever be shown under services.

Consider it similar to the built-in PDF viewer: it's available for people who really want it, but completely disabled by default.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-09-15, 14:14

Shouldn't that tab depend on the option?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-15, 14:48

tuxman wrote:Shouldn't that tab depend on the option?
Yes, it should - and if you would like to see it addressed, it's something that should be done in the Firefox code base since it applies to that as well -> File a bug report in Bugzilla!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-09-15, 14:49

I'm pretty sure they WONTFIX it. "No one disables the Social API!!1". But hey...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-15, 14:57

tuxman wrote:I'm pretty sure they WONTFIX it. "No one disables the Social API!!1". But hey...
I don't see why not -- they already dynamically hide categories depending on prefs otherwise (e.g. languages) so it would be in line what is already done.
Practically, it is probably copy-paste with a few edits, as long as you know where.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-09-15, 15:13

Well, bug report went here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=916577

Let's see.