FF48 blocklist against fingerprinting?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Skrell

FF48 blocklist against fingerprinting?

Unread post by Skrell » 2016-07-18, 13:25

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FF48 blocklist against fingerprinting?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-18, 22:28

No, because it's pointless to take on additional workload to try and index "bad" swf files based on usage on the top 10k Alexa sites and then simply blocking them by URL/filename.
What do you think deployers of these "bad" flash files will do? They will respond by renaming or rehosting, or even dynamically naming the files upon request (which takes pretty much 0 overhead to do). So at most what it will do is temporarily lower the practice results for small-time trackers, and create a good bit of PR to be forgotten about in 2 months time again.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-19, 07:28

And this blocklist is only against flash fingerprinting.
Uninstall flash and you have a much better protection.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-19, 11:32

I don't think yanking out Flash is a solution. As you said it's only a small part of what trackers use and denying yourself the added functionality of flash for it is an overreaction, IMHO.

Seriously though, this whole "let's add another blocklist" and its added complexity (and potential abuse) for what's likely going to be a passing, short-lived and feeble attempt at stopping trackers is the kind of busy-work I'd rather avoid.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-07-19, 20:49

Moonchild wrote:I don't think yanking out Flash is a solution. As you said it's only a small part of what trackers use and denying yourself the added functionality of flash for it is an overreaction, IMHO.

Seriously though, this whole "let's add another blocklist" and its added complexity (and potential abuse) for what's likely going to be a passing, short-lived and feeble attempt at stopping trackers is the kind of busy-work I'd rather avoid.

Aw, I thought these prefs would have been beneficial to privacy/security oriented users.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-19, 22:09

LimboSlam wrote:Aw, I thought these prefs would have been beneficial to privacy/security oriented users.
They aren't just prefs. It's controlling an arbitrary list of URIs compiled from running a script over a number of websites to look for specific sizes and types of flash content.
This list won't be anywhere near complete, has a chance of false positives, but even more so, has to be loaded in memory and a lookup done in it for networking requests made from the browser to see if the requested URI is present in the list. Not only is it pointless because the trackers will respond to being blocked as stated, it will also slow down your browsing and add needless complexity to browsing networking behavior.

Security considerations aren't there, unless you're worried that Flash content is insecure, period.
Privacy considerations are IMHO disproportional in this case, since flash "pixel trackers" won't be deterred by this kind of measure. If I'd put myself in the tracking company's shoes, seeing this static blacklisting going on, then it'd be half an hour of work (if that) to circumvent it in an automated fashion, indefinitely, from that point forward.