html5 color tag

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Katryne

html5 color tag

Unread post by Katryne » 2016-05-21, 21:04

Hello ! I am trying a new forum script, Flatboard. And I meet a configuration problem when setting the colors : it uses the html5 color tag which is not displayed in PaleMoon. (unless maybe I missed something ...)
I installed an html5 testing page on a website to check the tags and compare with other browsers. Do you think it possible to implement the color tag in PaleMoon ?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: html5 color tag

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-21, 21:35

Which tag, exactly? because there is no <color> tag in HTML5.
If you want to set font colors in HTML5 you'll have to use <style> and/or separate CSS sheets.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2016-05-21, 21:47

Sorry, these is rather new notions for me. I will be more precise : I meant the color input type. The internaut should be able to choose a color from a pop up palette. At least, I was able to use it this way in other browsers. Here is my html5 test page : http://katryne.legtux.org/test-html5.html

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-21, 23:31

Ah, yes the color picker input type. It's been on our to-do list for a while but low priority considering most websites provide proper feature detection and use a page-rendered fallback if the input type is not natively supported by the browser. I would suggest you ask the site in question to also do this to be browser-agnostic. Of note: I don't think either Safari or IE support this type of input as well so they should already have a fallback - they may simply be detecting our feature set wrong.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2016-05-22, 08:35

Thank you for the answer. I noticed it's not widespread yet, I had a look at CanIUse there : http://caniuse.com/#feat=input-color
I tried to implement a JS fallback named Spectrum on my site, but that is beyond my skills. And I asked for something of the kind at Flatboard' forum.
As for the color input-type in PaleMoon, I will be a good girl and wait patiently. Take your time ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-22, 09:24

There's a full-featured picker (way beyond what any browser internally supplies if they even implement it) in pure JS that you can use (jscolor.js) that should be really easy to drop in with input class=color (as opposed to type=)

See: http://www.dematte.at/colorPicker/