Update Notificaton

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Update Notificaton

Unread post by van p » 2016-05-13, 03:45

I know there's a FAQ about this, but it doesn't say what I want it to say, so . . .

I've been using Pale Moon for several months. In that time, I've seen a grand total of 2 notifications of a new version of the browser. And those were spaced closely together time-wise for the version right before the current one. Don't think I've seen a notice yet for the current version.

Cyberfox gives me a notification every time I open the browser, and it stays there until I dismiss it or leave my home page. Any chance Pale Moon can start doing something like that?

EDIT: Also, what little notification I got lasted only a few seconds, and although there wasn't much there, still there was no time to read it thoroughly. Also, since it disappears on its own, if the user isn't looking at the screen when it appears, he won't see it.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Update Notificaton

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-13, 11:11

The notification is initially a brief desktop notification. If not acted upon, it will pop up the large updater window after a set amount of time.

The way this is done is to try and limit the interruption users would experience because of a software update (as opposed to, say, the nagging nature of Windows Update every 10 minutes) since a web browser is assumed to be actively used with people constantly interacting with it. Popping it up every time the browser is started with a permanent notification is probably going to be more annoying than anything else.

Also, of note, by default the update checking frequency is 2 days to keep unnecessary traffic (and resulting load on servers) to a minimum while still allowing for a fast enough response to important updates to the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite