[Request] Redmoon, Bluemoon, Fullmoon, Newmoon Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
danunder

[Request] Redmoon, Bluemoon, Fullmoon, Newmoon

Unread post by danunder » 2016-03-07, 11:28

It would be handy to have other builds of Palemoon identical in function but with different names and disticntly different coloured icons - That way you could run several instances in parallel and easily see which is which. I currently run Palemoon and Firefox simultaneously for that very reason. Even one extra colour would be very handy.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: [Request] Redmoon, Bluemoon, Fullmoon, Newmoon

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-03-07, 11:49

why would it be handy.?

why..?

That is what customisation is for.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-03-07, 13:12

Newmoon is the generic branded version of Pale Moon that can be selected at compile time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-07, 13:50

You can always use a resource hacker to change icon of an executable to something else (for your own private use).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-07, 14:01

Why would we do this.. The Pale Moon Brand is distinctive.. It makes no sense to separate skus into full on different product branding.

danunder

Unread post by danunder » 2016-03-08, 02:43

"Why would we do this.. The Pale Moon Brand is distinctive.. It makes no sense to separate skus into full on different product branding."

A: It wouldn't require full branding or anything else, just an extra few links on the download page. The repsonse of 'you want that do it yourself' misses the point that other people might find it desirable. It would take all of 15 minutes work to change the hues and upload, much less than the time I spent modding some add-ons to enable them to install on Palemoon. I guess you don't want me to upload them because you can just do it yourself. Is that a recipe for open source success?

B: Why would you do this? Reiterating, it might be useful to users other than myself and hence make more people want to use your product. From what I've seen so far you mostly dismiss user suggestions and get aggressive when anyone disagrees with you: Then you turn around and ask for help with Add-ons, and seem surprised when no-one volunteers. Whose fault do you think that is? I wouldn't put up with your attitude if I was being paid, let alone be crazy enough to volunteer for it.

You don't listen to user requests (just like Mozilla)
You lock any thread discussions you don't like (just like Mozilla)
You're dropping support for 'legacy' systems (just like Mozilla)
By default your browser denies users certain security choices (just like Mozilla)

So what exactly makes Palemoon a better alternative?

I've been looking at the new Firefox and found that with the use of 7 add-ons (yes slightly annoying) you can regain all the 'lost' functionality, restore the old interface look plus gain much greater control over javascript specifics. So what is the upside of using Palemoon? Literally the only feature in Palemoon I haven't found in the new firefox is the view all tabs as thumbnails, which is a cool feature, but all the inconvenience of add-on incompatibilities, no add-on updates, lack of control over interface and javascript, puts Palemoon well behind.

If you don't change your attitude you won't grow your team.
If you only have a handful of guys on your team versus the thousands deving for Mozilla you can't possibly keep up.
If you can't keep up you'll become obsolete.
If you become obsolete the project will die. And if you keep up your attitude, no-one will care.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-08, 13:43

You obviously have no clue what maintaining several different brandings for the same product causes:
  • It causes confusion for users. "Which one do I need?" "Is there a difference?" "I use red moon, it's better than full moon" (placebo), etc. etc. and it won't help us building a solid, recognizable, clear brand and product.
  • You clearly don't know what kind of extra work it would mean to publish multiple versions just so you can have different icons. You obviously don't understand the release engineering work involved in creating those "extra links".
Generalizing your view of us as a community and Pale Moon in particular is very unbecoming. Drawing a parallel to how Mozilla approaches things... I'll just not speak my mind there because it'd serve no purpose but to make this unnecessarily heated.

A recipe for Open Source success? If you equal "Open Source" with "my private hobby projects" then maybe it would. But that's not what we do here.
That said: If you want to make your own multi-colored copies for your own private use, then go right ahead. Nobody's stopping you.
If you want to publish derivatives like this then you must fully re-brand the browser, but otherwise you're free to do so as well if you insist. There's your Open Source success, right there.
danunder wrote:I've been looking at the new Firefox and found that with the use of 7 add-ons (yes slightly annoying) you can regain all the 'lost' functionality, restore the old interface look plus gain much greater control over javascript specifics. So what is the upside of using Palemoon? Literally the only feature in Palemoon I haven't found in the new firefox is the view all tabs as thumbnails, which is a cool feature, but all the inconvenience of add-on incompatibilities, no add-on updates, lack of control over interface and javascript, puts Palemoon well behind.
Go ahead and use Firefox, then, if you prefer to look at the surface and if it suits your wishes better than Pale Moon.
I can just say that your assertions are wrong on ALL accounts when drawing the parallels you do with your "just like Mozilla" statements.
Lack of control over interface is something I don't even understand. Fully customizable XUL-based UI, Complete themes... What more do you want that we don't already offer more than Firefox or.. pretty much any other browser out there by now?
Control over javascript? Explain.
Add-on incompatibilities? When looking at add-ons made for a different product (We're not Firefox) then yes, you may run into some. Or you can join our community in building our own full add-on ecosystem.

EDIT: hint: browser/chrome/default/main-window.ico will change the main window icon at run-time. Set your different copies up with different icons and voila.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-03-08, 19:41

A troll wrote:You don't listen to user requests (just like Mozilla)
Not true at all.
A troll wrote:You lock any thread discussions you don't like (just like Mozilla)
Sometimes true.
A troll wrote:You're dropping support for 'legacy' systems (just like Mozilla)
So Pale Moon should be able to run on a 386 with Windows 3.1? Of course not
A troll wrote:By default your browser denies users certain security choices (just like Mozilla)
Not true either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-09, 20:47

half-moon wrote:Sometimes true.
The only time we lock threads is when people are being overly abrasive or it turns into a one-sided argument with a lot of negativity, or when people really clearly don't want to listen or be constructive.
We don't lock threads just because we disagree with someone's expressed opinion.

Moderation of a forum is walking a fine line between keeping a workable atmosphere and allowing random people their outbursts.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you keep your labeling to yourself. Don't start saying "a troll wrote" because that just being rude and obnoxious.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-03-11, 02:28

Moonchild wrote:Also, I'd appreciate it if you keep your labeling to yourself. Don't start saying "a troll wrote" because that just being rude and obnoxious.
True. I'll admit sometimes being a fanboy and getting offended when somebody says something bad about PM. Not a very good habit :oops:

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-03-11, 06:35

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote: The only time we lock threads is when
What about duplicate threads? We lock those at the InformAction forums, after providing a link to the original.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-11, 10:38

Off-topic:
Thrawn wrote:What about duplicate threads? We lock those at the InformAction forums, after providing a link to the original.
I just focused on the accusation here. Of course we can either merge or lock threads to keep things organized properly as well. Just normal common sense practice is of course used here, but I don't feel a need to write up a full contingency plan when staff can use their brain. ;P