Delay loading media until approved by user Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Jazoray

Delay loading media until approved by user

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-02-07, 02:51

the attempt to prevent scripted webm from playing automatically is insufficient to protect the user from aggressive sounds and animations.

What we need is a solution that doesn't even load media content* until OK'd by the user.

*Assuming more "complex" media than just images. Such as webm or sounds.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Delay loading media until approved by user

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-07, 03:35

I think this goes a little beyond what should be expected for built-in functionality. Perhaps, an extension to do that would be better.
Off-topic:
Per your signature... "Software interrupting the user is never acceptable and there won't be peace until every developer accepts this undeniable fact."

I am going to completely disagree with that.. There are good reasons to interrupt the user. Madness like that has lead to non-model dialogs and door hangers that convey important information that are easily missed and dismissed without ever being read.

In my opinion, the user should learn and understand the very technologies they employ. Including, why a developer may wish to interrupt the workflow of a user if it is critical to do so.

Jazoray

Re: Delay loading media until approved by user

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-02-07, 04:32

Matt A Tobin wrote:I think this goes a little beyond what should be expected for built-in functionality. Perhaps, an extension to do that would be better.
You are probably right about that. However, if this forum has a subforum for commissioning plugins and extensions (and not just talk about existing extensions) i have not found it.