Allow new tabs to open the homepage

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Blackthorne

Allow new tabs to open the homepage

Unread post by Blackthorne » 2016-01-28, 03:20

Hello. I would like to request an option to allow new tabs to open my homepage within the vanilla PM install. Currently the only options (in PM26.0 x64) are: a blank page, the Pale Moon Start Page, or the Quickdial Page.

I believe that there is an option to do this in the Pale Moon Commander add-on, but it seems like total overkill to require PMC just to get your homepage to open when you click on the New Tab + button.

blkthorne

Re: Allow new tabs to open the homepage

Unread post by blkthorne » 2016-01-28, 05:43

Open about:config (type it in the address bar) and use the search for browser.newtab.url (you can use keywords 'about' or 'newtab' and it should appear as the second search result). Double click it (or right click and Modify) to edit the string value from about:logopage to your home page URL. I tried it just now and I did not use 'http://'. Personally I like my new tabs blank, but I am minimalistic (resources). On a side note, hotkeys are your friend Ctrl+K,L,T,R,W (highlight search bar, highlight address bar, open a new tab, reload tab, close tab) in addition to the usual Ctrl+X,C,V (cut, copy, paste). Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+Tab to cycle between tabs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Allow new tabs to open the homepage

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-15, 13:47

This has been asked/suggested previously but it's not as simple because your "homepage" setting can consist of multiple tabs.
Setting your new tab URL manually as explained above is a good way to do it, or you can use Pale Moon Commander which has a custom URL field for this purpose as well (User Interface -> General -> New Tab URL)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite