"Pale Moon Lite"; Use Atom version source for other builds?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

"Pale Moon Lite"; Use Atom version source for other builds?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-01-19, 19:58

I successfully built the Atom-optimized-source version on my Intel Core2, optimized for my ancient Atom netbook's cpu. I wanted an optimized build for the Core2 machine as well. I used the Atom source, and optimized for the Core2's cpu. I've done the same for a 64-bit build. They work well, and I don't see any missing features that an end-user might need.

Would it make things more difficult to have extra versions of Atom-source built for x86_32 and x86_64 (and Mac)? Or maybe make Atom-source the regular version, with a "web-developer's version" with the full source code?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "Pale Moon Lite"; Use Atom version source for other builds?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-19, 20:10

The Atom source specifically caters to Atom processors and NT 5 kernels. It's not recommended to use this for anything else.

If you want to build Pale Moon without the devtools you can do so by using a configure option (--disable-devtools) on the main-line branch of Pale Moon. This would make it "lighter". People have clearly indicated they want the devtools in the main-line build (especially the inspector) when asked about this, so they'll remain in our regular version, which is a good balance of included features in accordance with our community's wishes.

Considering we already have x86, x64, x86-atom, portables of those three, Linux versions of those three... Adding even more different versions would just add additional workload for us without much gain, as well as making things more confusing for users ("what version do I need? there are so many!")
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite