Block Plug-In enumeration

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LambdaFox

Block Plug-In enumeration

Unread post by LambdaFox » 2015-11-16, 14:50

Pale Moon is my preferred browser, but I am currently running Firefox 37, because it gives me this ability. I have not updated beyond 37, because any newer firefox breaks imdb.com.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Block Plug-In enumeration

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-16, 16:48

Please see other threads about fingerprinting where this is discussed.

Short answer: no, we will not block enumeration of plugins -- it is considered an essential feature for the web.

Slightly longer answer:
Being able to enumerate plugins is essential for a number of web applications to function without causing a lot of unnecessary traffic. Blocking the enumeration of plugins also doesn't necessarily prevent being able to get the list of plugins installed&activated in your browser.
Instead of this, we use a shuffled list of plugins on every visit, which is just as effective for you, and more effective to counter the trackers' practices as a whole. Common "tests" that are approaching fingerprinting from one specific angle (try to make everyone look as bland as possible) will not like this, but that's a problem with the angle used by those tests. Yes, our visits are more unique, but that's on purpose. They are also different every time, so the trackers get inconclusive data and will not be able to follow you around on the web as you'll look like someone else for each visit.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LambdaFox

Unread post by LambdaFox » 2015-11-17, 17:39

I understand why this would not be the default behavior, but I do wish Pale Moon would work with this plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ns-mimety/

It really makes me think of the guy you invite to your house who feels free to go thru your medicine cabinet when he is in your bathroom.
Last edited by LambdaFox on 2015-11-28, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-11-17, 19:10

Try the ''DisableDeviceFontEnumeration=1'' setting, in Flash's mms.cfg file.

LambdaFox

Unread post by LambdaFox » 2015-11-19, 15:01

superA wrote:Try the ''DisableDeviceFontEnumeration=1'' setting, in Flash's mms.cfg file.
Funny, you mention that! I am running Xubuntu 15.10. (That's Linux, if you don't recognize the name.)

Adobe stopped updating their flash player for Linux. The only way to get the current one is to install the Chrome browser. There are add-ons that let you use Chrome's built-in Pepper Flash in the open-source Chromium browser and Firefox. This works with Pale Moon.

I cannot find anywhere the correct directory to put mms.cfg for the Pepper Flash included in Chrome in Xubuntu. I have a thread open on askubuntu.com asking that very question.