"reader view" function [SOLVED]

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
beansandfranks

"reader view" function [SOLVED]

Unread post by beansandfranks » 2016-08-25, 16:26

Opps! I just posted the suggestion below, but I believe I did so in the wrong section. So I'm reposting here. Maybe the moderator can fix my error. Sorry!

Can Pale Moon add a "reader view" function?
Postby beansandfranks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 am

Pale Moon is super for its small resource footprint making it an ideal browser for extended research having multiple tabs open.

One feature that would increase PM's usability tremendously would be a "reader view" function similar to that recently added to Firefox and which makes many web pages printable (to pdf or paper).

For those who do not know, FF displays a book icon in the url box if a webpage can be seen in reading mode. Just click on that icon, and the page is converted.
Example: Try it in a CNBC story page. Without it, have to set the print zoom to 20% or so. With the reader view clicked, can easily print at any level.

Not all webpages can be converted, so the reading icon is not always displayed, and the conversion is not always perfect (often leaving out sections at the bottom of a page).
However, the function is VERY USEFUL!

Would be wonderful if PM could incorporate a similar feature.

Many thanks for your time.
Last edited by beansandfranks on 2016-09-21, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Re: "reader view" function

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-25, 21:20

beansandfranks wrote:Can Pale Moon add a "reader view" function?
Postby beansandfranks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 am
You might want to take a look at this post here.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12397

The add on mentioned does not seem to work in 26.4.0
It did work for me in 26.3.3

beansandfranks

Unread post by beansandfranks » 2016-08-29, 13:45

Thanks for the reply, Handyman.
I run the latest PM -- 26.4.0
As you indicated, the Reader add-on does not work well in that version, so I'm back to square 1 for PM reader.
Thanks anyway.

I hope that the PM developers consider a reader function in later versions of PM.
Reason: To compete with Firefox' capabilities.
BTW -- Thanks SO much to the developers. I don't know if they hear that enough, but we are all appreciative!

I often do intense Internet research. Grab pages and stories and print to pdf. Need to do so quickly and efficiently.
Before, I had been using PM almost exclusively because of its handling of RAM.

When FireFox came out with its built-in Reader function, I switched to FireFox run in Safe Mode (to conserve RAM).
Yes, Firefox does still slowly eat RAM, BUT I can just close it out even if I have numerous tabs, then disable my Internet connection, then restart FireFox in Safe mode, re-enable the Internet connection and voila -- My tabs are back and my RAM usage is back to a low level.
I run FireFox in full mode if I need any of the download add-ons.

Anyway, I would strongly recommend that the PM developers consider building a Reader mode into PM!

Thanks so much!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-29, 16:16

RESOLVED WONTFIX merely because we should not take it upon ourselves to dictate how web content should be displayed on the desktop.

While this makes some sense on moble devices with small screens .. on desktops a mode where we obliterate styling and design of a website isn't among our goals.

beansandfranks

Unread post by beansandfranks » 2016-08-29, 20:43

Matt,
This isn't a ethical discussion, but a practical one that focuses NOT on reading but on improving print functionality.
Please read my last post. I never read from Reader View! You'll see that my focus is on printing an intelligible product.
Look, I am but one voice here. However, what I described in research and printing a readable product to a file is done by thousands of people a day.
A "Reader View" makes the browser very useful.
I also believe that such functionality is a competitive element -- PM vs FireFox.
Ignore competition at your own risk!
Best,
B&F
PS: It looks like you are on the add-on team. This issue should really be handled by the product development team!

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-29, 21:05

beansandfranks wrote:PS: It looks like you are on the add-on team. This issue should really be handled by the product development team!
:silent: Careful, Tobin is pretty much # 2 at Pale Moon is the "Director of Doing Stuff" and isn't just Add on's. ;)

I'm sure he understands your request but at this very moment they are super busy trying to get version 27 buttoned up and ready and
they simply don't have the extra time right now for something like this. Perhaps after things get a bit easier for them they or someone
else might be able to figure out a way to make the add on work again. Till then, take a small breather and relax. :mrgreen:

I myself have spoken a bit too hasty at one of Matt's replies and have been proven wrong. He's just really busy right now.

Let's give them some slack. ;)

Also, I noticed that Matt A Tobin would like us to either call him Tobin or use his full name.
Off-topic:
Everyone.. Call me Tobin or use my full name Matt A. Tobin. Please do not call me by my first name.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2016-08-30, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-30, 00:06

I would argue this functionality really does remain best in add-ons space.. While i understand the cited extension doesn't work at present.. If it ever did.. This doesn't mean it can't be fixed or a new extension can't be written.

@Thehandyman1957

I am not here for a particular rank or seat of power and authority.. While yes i am the heading up several aspects of the project that is only because I started or have stepped up to deal with those areas. That is why my title of "Administrator and Coordinator of Secondary Services" not only serves to roll up many of my responsibilities but is also vauge as hell.. doesn't matter in any event as I do and help out all over the place it may as well be "Director of Doing Stuff".

I do, however, try and make these calls in accordance with what has been established when ever possible. I may be wrong and if that is the case then it will be corrected at once. And yes it HAS happened on occasion.

edrtf20

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2016-08-30, 07:53

If you go to: http://www.printfriendly.com/ this site will convert most pages to be print friendly. You can use the URL box or the bookmarklet to bring up a preview of the page, in which you can choose to print or download a PDF, also you can edit the preview to remove gaps, images etc. before printing or saving the page.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-30, 20:15

Matt A Tobin wrote:I am not here for a particular rank or seat of power and authority.. While yes i am the heading up several aspects of the project that is only because I started or have stepped up to deal with those areas. That is why my title of "Administrator and Coordinator of Secondary Services" not only serves to roll up many of my responsibilities but is also vauge as hell.. doesn't matter in any event as I do and help out all over the place it may as well be "Director of Doing Stuff".
There, I fixed it! ;) :lol:

Secondary Services, yes, that is vague isn't it. :mrgreen:

beansandfranks

Unread post by beansandfranks » 2016-09-01, 18:14

Tobin,

First of all, I should apologize if I seemed upset at my last post. Just that I have been a big fan of PM for years and recommend it for many people. I saw Firefox making inroads on improved usability that I did not find in PM.

However, poster "edrtf20" has solved the printer friendly problem! (Thanks, dude). His recommendation is the best!

Simply go to the website he recommends and find this page: http://www.printfriendly.com/browser_tool
Then drag the blue box to your bookmarks toolbar and voila! Print friendly problem solved!
Even better than Firefox Readerview is the fact that Printfriendly allows you some degree of customization of the page!
So far, I have not found any "baddies" that go with Printfriendly.

It also have a built-in pdf function, but there I prefer pdfcreator.

I strongly recommend that "printfriendly" be the preferred solution to this issue.

Thanks to all.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-01, 22:21

beansandfranks wrote:However, poster "edrtf20" has solved the printer friendly problem! (Thanks, dude). His recommendation is the best!
No worries my friend. ;) I've been there. Glad you found something that works for you. Don't forget to mark this solved
by putting [SOLVED] in you first title. :thumbup: