Add support for HTML5 audio and/or MP3 playback [SOLVED]

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
KNTRO

Add support for HTML5 audio and/or MP3 playback [SOLVED]

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-23, 04:41

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I visited the Grooveshark HTML5 website with Pale Moon 24.6.2 and I got this warning:
It looks like your current browser doesn't support HTML5 audio and/or mp3 playback. If you have flash, you can use the full version of Grooveshark, or you can upgrade to a browser that supports HTML5 audio and MP3 playback.
I wonder if future Pale Moon versions could add support for HTML5 audio playback, please.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by KNTRO on 2014-07-28, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Add support for HTML5 audio and/or MP3 playback

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-07-23, 04:50

I can play MP3s in Pale Moon.. using the built in html5 audio player...

In some cases if there isn't a codec that ships with the browser it will use system codecs.. Are you sure the site isn't just user agent profiling like is almost ALWAYS the issue?
Attachments
mp3.png

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-07-23, 06:10

Not this warning on my side?
Off-topic:
btw personally i prefer the old version: http://retro.grooveshark.com/

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-23, 07:32

Mmm… I don't know what's wrong with my Pale Moon then.

@mattatobin @buggy What plugins do you have enabled, guys?

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-07-23, 09:01

Grooveshark works fine here too. Only plugin I have which might make a difference is the VLC one. Well, that and Flash...

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-07-23, 09:26

I have always only two plugins enabled, Flash and QuickTime.

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-07-23, 10:23

I had set media.windows-media-foundation.enabled to false when default = true in order to ease mp3 files downloads, and noticed the same message from Grooveshark HTML website.
Reverting media.windows-media-foundation.enabled to true solved the Grooveshark HTML5 issue.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-23, 19:28

@mattatobin @buggy @Trippynet @Parsifal Thank all of you, guys.

This is really weird. I just tried this under Firefox ESR 24.7 on the same system —with Adobe Flash Player 14.0.0.145 enabled— and got the same message; even with media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to both true or false. There's must be an issue with my OS, I think.

I'm gonna check this on Windows 7 later.

Again, thank you, folks. There's no Pale Moon without this wonderful community. :thumbup:

Respect.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-07-23, 20:10

Ok.. I thought this MIGHT be an XP related issue.. Here is a suggestion. Stop using an unsupported obsoleted OS. However, you COULD try to check if you HAVE the windows media foundation stuff installed on XP. It may work then.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-23, 20:53

The Windows Media Foundation is indeed not available on Windows XP. That would be your issue. Since the Mozilla code base for these codecs (that are not open or royalty-free formats, like MP3 and H.264) passes the data to WMF for decoding, and WMF isn't available on your OS, this will cause your error message. There is no solution for this, apart from using a media plugin that supports it or using a current OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-28, 05:20

Moonchild's right — This works OK on W7. Just tested. So, case solved.

Sorry for not testing this on W7 before posting this. :oops:

Best!