Переместить браузер полностью в оперативную память

Обсуждения на русском языке
Sergey123

Переместить браузер полностью в оперативную память

Unread post by Sergey123 » 2013-04-05, 02:41

Доброго времени суток, очень доволен вашим продуктом (по сравнению с обычным FF). Вопрос следующий:
У меня на компьютере стоит 8 гб оперативной памяти, из которой задействуется максимум 45-50%. Хотелось бы узнать, как позволить браузеру занимать столько памяти, сколько ему надо, при этом, чтобы на жестком диске было занято минимум пространства.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Переместить браузер полностью в оперативную память

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-06, 08:36

Спасибо! Всегда рады услышать, что люди довольны Pale Moon!

Вы можете посмотреть в использовании RAM-диска для хранения кэша браузера (хранит до 1 ГБ максимальный данных) - в противном случае существует не так много еще можно сделать, чтобы попытаться сделать браузер использовать больше памяти и меньше дисков.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sergey123

Unread post by Sergey123 » 2013-04-06, 09:23

First of all: why only 1 GB max? I thought cause it's x64, it could use a lot more RAM for it's needs. And I don't wanna use ram-disc, because of bad experience before. So maybe you could help me with some "about:config" settings?
And probably this small instruction could help other people with same problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-06, 09:37

1GB is the ceiling imposed on disk cache. This is downloaded data in source format. In fact, Pale Moon by default uses a lot less because it increases maintenance runs and management of data, as well as storing a very large amount of data will have most of it stale.
Pale Moon x64 does use more RAM (working memory) as it needs, including more than 4GB for that architecture. if you want you can increase allowances for decoded image cache, javascript and other parts, although performance will likely not increase and there is no guarantee that the browser WILL use more, since it simply won't allocate the RAM is doesn't use. That is a good thing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Sergey123

Unread post by Sergey123 » 2013-04-06, 11:38

ok, thank you, seems I starting get it

And one more question:
browser.cache.disk.enable;false
browser.cache.memory.capacity;2097152
browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size;2097152

Is it correct for my situation? And what other settings should I change?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-06, 19:40

No, memory cache is very conservative by design. You'll be hard-pressed to ever use more than 32MB for browser RAM cache.

You are much better off leaving the disk cache enabled - as it is your PC will use a lot of your memory that is marked as "free" for file caching (standby-memory). You won't see this memory "in use" but your OS will still use it.

Sergey123

Unread post by Sergey123 » 2013-04-07, 04:20

hmm... thank you for advice, I don't even think about it. Wish you and your team success, good luck :)

pm2222

Unread post by pm2222 » 2015-01-17, 02:08

На RAMdisk 512MB стоит PaleMoon+Profil, все прекрасно, очень быстро работает. Уже пользуюсь более 5 лет этим способом.