Mozilla to abandon Sync 1.1 infrastructure

Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Mozilla to abandon Sync 1.1 infrastructure

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-04, 14:19

Main article: https://blog.mozilla.org/services/2015/02/03/legacy-sync-migration/

Mozilla will be shutting down and abandoning its Sync 1.1 infrastructure, some time after August 4th when they have no "current" Firefox versions anymore that use Sync 1.1

Considering Pale Moon uses its own Sync server, this will not impact Pale Moon users, with the exception of people who have migrated their existing Firefox Sync account over to Pale Moon when they migrated their profile.

How can I tell which Sync service I'm using, Mozilla's or Pale Moon's?

It's relatively simple:
  1. In the address bar, type about:config and press enter, to open up the advanced configuration editor.
  2. In the Search field at the top of this configuration editor type "cluster", to filter the preferences to relevant ones.
  3. If the preference services.sync.clusterURL has a mozilla URL in it, the you are using Mozilla's infrastructure and you should migrate over. If it has a pmsync.palemoon.net URL in it, then you are already set up on Pale Moon Sync, and no action is required.
I'm on Mozilla's sync service - how do I move to Pale Moon's sync service?

Because everything is fully encrypted with a key that is never sent in any form to the servers in question when using Sync 1.1 (as opposed to Firefox Accounts) there is no way for the servers to communicate your user and account data directly. To migrate, you will have to unlink all of your synced devices, then set up a new account and re-sync:
  1. On all of your devices, go to Options->Sync and click the "Unlink this device" link.
  2. Once you have disconnected all devices from Mozilla's Sync, choose one browser instance to "Set up sync", and create a new account on the Pale Moon Sync server using your e-mail address and a password. Please take a moment to read the terms of service when you do.
  3. Perform your first sync - this will re-encrypt your data for the new account, and upload it to the Pale Moon Sync server. Please note that if you have a lot of bookmarks, history or active tabs, that this may take a while. Please be kind to us and only sync those pieces of data you want to synchronize between devices!
  4. When the account is set up, go through the "pair a device" steps to pair up your other devices with the new account, using the 12-character one-time codes for easy setup (or alternatively, by manually entering your account details and recovery key on the newly added device).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite