Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Sync service downtime

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-17, 13:33

Sync server downtime issues

The sync service is currently experiencing issues due to issues with Mozilla's Sync 1.1 implementation and the resulting load caused on the physical server running it on.

An alternative solution will be looked into; sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sync service downtime

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-17, 16:12

A workaround has been put in place, to hopefully reduce the IO strain on the server which has been the main issue due to the naive use of /tmp in every sync request by python/gunicorn.

This will be closely monitored, and better alternatives will still be researched.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-18, 07:07

The service has been disabled for the time being, because I will at the very least have to redo parts of the database structure to give better update/large table write performance, and may have to look into getting a dedicated server just for sync (if it's in my budget to do so).

For people wondering about "Why not add Sync 1.5?" the one that Australis uses: That version of sync is not complete, poorly documented, ties in with Firefox Accounts which I don't want to depend on, and from a strict security principle point of view has compromised data security principles for convenience.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-26, 01:08

After about 8 hours of converting and cleaning the sync data tables, Sync has been preliminarily put back on-line. I'll still be looking into getting a better server setup for it but some of the issues should be alleviated now that forced me to take it off-line to not negatively impact the host it's running on. If this workaround doesn't work even as a temporary measure, I'll update this thread again with more details.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-30, 10:49

The workaround turned out to be insufficient because of the fragile nature of Mozilla's Sync implementation.
Further details in a dedicated thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5253

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 20:31

For the time being, the sync service has been enabled again on the relatively unstable but at least working Mozilla implementation of weave. A different version of the weave server is in use now, that will hopefully at least prevent most errors. Previously existing accounts have been cleared - you will have to unlink your device and create a new account again. Sorry for this rather bumpy ride, folks, but I'm trying to provide the best service with what I have.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-10, 13:11

The Pale Moon Sync service will be changed over to an alternative implementation in the next version of Pale Moon.
This will be implemented on a new server with more capacity as well, and should prevent any further issues with unavailability, sync errors or data corruption.

Existing accounts will not be able to be ported across when this comes into effect since the data storage approach is different in the new implementation. At that time, you will be required to register a new account. More details will be posted at that time.

For general information about the Pale Moon Sync service, please visit http://www.palemoon.org/sync/ - it seems some people aren't exactly clear what the service is for and what it is not for, and this page should clarify the purpose and way of working of the service.