Pale Moon releases and site news
(read-only)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Firefox 10 will be skipped!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-15, 11:25

A heads-up about the upcoming Firefox 10 release:

Pale Moon will skip the version 10 code base, considering the implemented features in Firefox 10 are a (partial) implementation of web developer tools that are of less significance, and it does not yet address the most important issue currently present in Firefox, which is a massive performance issue for animated images.

It is therefore not considered a relevant or significant release.
Of course, a point release will be made to Pale Moon 9 to implement critical security fixes once they are finalized in the Firefox source tree, and possibly some other relevant patches will be implemented as well, to keep the browser safe and updated.

Version 11 shows more promise to be interesting and significant, with the planned implementation of SPDY, the animated image fix (cairo) that has plagued the browser since version 4 and for some reason was not considered top priority, and other, more complete implementations of features.

This next major release will be on the menu somewhere in March of 2012.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Firefox 10 will be skipped!

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-01-15, 13:00

I use Firefox as my backup browser.

Since Firefox 10 sounds like it's going to be mainly for the implementation of web developers tools, looks like I'll be skipping FF 10 and just wait for FF 11.

And I won't have to worry about my two favorite extensions (IE Tab V2 & NoSquint) being broken. :P
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-15, 15:27

Night Wing wrote:And I won't have to worry about my two favorite extensions (IE Tab V2 & NoSquint) being broken. :P
Add-ons are set to compatible from version 10 and up, so they will work even up to FF12.0a1 Nightly, even if it states that the only work up on 4.0 - 9.0. The only thing is that some fuctionality might not work as it happened to me with Brief, but you never know.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-15, 15:52

Well, at least Pale Moon users won't have to worry about that, even - the extension interface won't see functional changes in a point release ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-01-19, 20:03

Thanks for the heads up on that. Considering the annoyances presented by the Mozilla Foundation™ upgrade psychosis, I'm perfectly happy skipping 10 and looking forward to PM11, x86 and x64. In fact, you should wait until 11.0.1. ;)

Concerning the security fix(es), I am using the 9.0.1 portables on my XPx86 and Win7x64 systems. Will using File > Help > About Pale Moon > Check for Updates be sufficient for inquiry and installation of any fix(es) you release?

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-19, 22:29

dallas7 wrote:In fact, you should wait until 11.0.1. ;)
I'm certainly going to give it some time to soak publicly before I release the next major version. I've done a rush release and/or pull off the wire enough now. If Mozilla won't do a proper FAT with sufficient testers, then I'll let them fix critical bugs before grabbing release code and work from that.
Concerning the security fix(es), I am using the 9.0.1 portables on my XPx86 and Win7x64 systems. Will using File > Help > About Pale Moon > Check for Updates be sufficient for inquiry and installation of any fix(es) you release?
They will be multiple fixes rolled into one, since it's going to be a new version (9.1). I don't do "hotpatches" for recompiles of changed code.
The internal updater will suffice to update the browser component for the portable, although you will (on x86) lose the compacter portable libraries and executable files if you do that, so it will take twice the space after upgrading as opposed to installing a fresh copy.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-01-24, 06:42

Roger. Posting this on the Spanish side of the forum! ;)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-31, 04:41

Currently using 10 Stable for a little more than a day, got it from the FTP.

Sites render a bit faster(I can hold this back since I use Fasterfox Lite). It also hangs a lot less than with 9 and starts up a little bit faster, also handles memory a bit better.

At first, I thought 9 would hang a lot because of the "GlassMyFox" add-on, but that wasn't much the case.
Hang = Many videos utilizing Flash. (I can open double the amount of tabs, was using 5 tabs but now 10, until it starts hanging on me. The hangs only last a little while, not much to worry about)

Overall, 10 is a slight improvement and it's arbitrary whether I recommend it or not. Real-Life scenario implied, not testing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-01, 18:16

If the version 10 would be around for a long while it would be more relevant, but it's not. So the upgrade to Firefox "4.10" is indeed only a slight improvement and nothing compared to what is being implemented in v11.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-02-01, 18:24

Moonchild wrote:If the version 10 would be around for a long while it would be more relevant, but it's not. So the upgrade to Firefox "4.10" is indeed only a slight improvement and nothing compared to what is being implemented in v11.
Unless you want to build on the ESR version of Firefox 10, you are right.

Sure, it will keep improving, and I am anticipated for Pale Moon 11.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-01, 23:03

Mozilla are making version 10 an extended support release?... Good gods, they couldn't have picked a worse one to do that.
There are some very involved developments that are implemented in v11.
v10 only has the web dev toolset partially implemented, more complete in the next version. It doesn't address the big cairo bug. it doesn't implement SPDY, and you want to not have the following bugs fixed...:
Ali Juma – Backout Bug 694964 as the suspected caused of Bug 720353. a=johnath
Brad Lassey – bug 720712 - Crash on startup on Samsung SCH-i400 (Continuum), Android 2.1, Base64 API is API level 8 r=lucasr a=dougt
Brian Nicholson – Bug 719662 - Use nsIPrefLocalizedString for getComplexValue. r=mfinkle a=akeybl
Brian Nicholson – Bug 719195 - about:Home displayed briefly before session restore. r=mfinkle a=blassey
Matt Brubeck – Bug 720400 - Disable plugins in XUL Fennec [r=blassey, a=akeybl]
Sriram Ramasubramanian – Bug 715213: Move "+" to left side on Tab menu. [r=mfinkle] a=blassey
Sriram Ramasubramanian – Bug 720698: ICS should use blue outline color for URL bar. [r=mfinkle] a=blassey
Sriram Ramasubramanian – Bug 717674: AutoCompletePopup list should be native to the device. [r=mfinkle] a=blassey
Sriram Ramasubramanian – Bug 712526: Restrict tabs menu to occupy only 2/3 of the screen. [r=mfinkle] a=blassey
Lucas Rocha – Bug 722050 - Fix about:home checker-boarding (r=mfinkle, a=mfinkle)
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721765 - Fix typo in about:home's top sites string (r=mfinkle, a=mfinkle)
Alex Pakhotin – Bug 717902 - Form autocomplete pop-up with the available suggestions is not displayed in landscape mode when HKB is used. r=blassey Mark Finkle – Bug 704415 - Style the Add-on Manager [r=wesj a=akeybl]
Benoit Girard – Bug 711564 - Disable ICA/CA Plug-in drawing model on 10.5 because of instability. r=smichaud a=akeybl
Cedric Vivier – Bug 721350 - Style Editor auto-scroll to the selected style sheet is annoying. r=paul a=akeybl
Cedric Vivier – Bug 721353 - Fix invisible outline regression introduced by bug 719022. r=paul a=akeybl
Paul Rouget – Bug 720975 - Switch to vertical layout only when the window width < 550px. r=msucan a=akeybl
Paul Rouget – Bug 719022 - Digits-only file names get .css prefixed in front of postfixed. r=jwalker a=akeybl
Mike Hommey – Bug 720737 - Set MOZ_LINKER_CACHE instead of CACHE_PATH. r=blassey,a=akeybl
Mike Hommey – Bug 713229 - Require NSPR 4.9 beta 4 or greater. r=ted,a=akeybl
Sriram Ramasubramanian – Bug 713402: Tabs not shown in awesomescreen in honeycomb. [r=mfinkle] a=dougt
Brian Nicholson – Bug 716906 - Add "Firefox Sync" item to settings. r=dougt a=akeybl
Margaret Leibovic – Bug 720581 - Access static fields/methods in a static way. r=blassey a=akeybl
Doug Turner – Bug 704467 - Crash in mozalloc_abort | __swrite | dexDataMapAlloc. Protect against a bad class cast. r=wesj a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Update about:home everytime it's shown (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Add API to AboutHomeContent to trigger updates (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Remove redundant runnable to load addons/tabs in about:home (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Factor out code to load top sites in AboutHomeContent (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Remove onFinishInflate handling from AboutHomeContent (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Move view attributes to layout file (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Lucas Rocha – Bug 721354 - Remove unnecessary constructor arg from AboutHomeContent (r=blassey) a=akeybl
Gian-Carlo Pascutto – Bug 721320 - Enable persistent SQLite journal on LocalBrowserDB. r=lucasr a=akeybl
Matt Brubeck – Bug 719557 - "Full Screen" add-on (window.fullScreen) has problems in native Fennec [r=blassey] a=akeybl
Alex Pakhotin – Bug 712972 - Can't type mzl.la into awesome bar. r=blassey a=akeybl
Brian Nicholson – Bug 701824 - "Show character encoding" (Text encoding) preference should be hooked up. r=mfinkle a=akeybl
Alex Pakhotin – Bug 711648 - Pre-commit underline is not shown for the composing text. r=blassey a=akeybl
Richard Newman – Bug 717869 - fix BrowserProvider.generateGuid to not append trailing newlines. r=blassey, approval-mozilla-aurora=dougt
Wes Johnston – Bug 711071 - Check for scrollable in velocity calculations. r=pcwalton a=blassey
Kartikaya Gupta – Bug 720442 - Scroll input fields to bottom of viewport rather than top. r=blassey a=akeybl
Kartikaya Gupta – Bug 712065 - Special treatment is needed to get the size of SVG documents. r=mfinkle a=akeybl
Kartikaya Gupta – Bug 718270 - When hiding the VKB on small pages, increase page size to prevent zoom-in. r=pcwalton a=akeybl
Brad Lassey – bug 721308 - ConcurrentModificationException when closing a tab and reopening the tabstray quickly r=mfinkle a=akeybl
Brad Lassey – bug 721209 - tab screenshots unnecessarily big for background tabs r=mfinkle a=akeybl
And literally a total of close to 3000 bugs.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-02-01, 23:17

10 was planned to be ESR, they mentioned it last year. It's on their FTP, posted the 30th, so that pretty much covers it.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-02-01, 23:20

Yes, I was been quite surprised by it and was wondering when you'd make a comment. It just doesn't seem right to make FX10 the core for corporation use for the next x months, there's too many things that are/were waiting for a fix in it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-02, 17:56

That will be yet another bad move for the Mozilla Corp then. Depending on how things develop, I may make 11 the base for a longer support release as 12 seems to be going more towards "UX" which is not something I want to go for.

cork1958

Unread post by cork1958 » 2012-02-04, 08:42

Exactly what I just came here to find out and registered at the same time.

Thanks for the info :)

twocows

Unread post by twocows » 2012-02-19, 14:57

Yeah, what a shame they're making what should be an intermediary release (even among these ones) into an ESR.

The next one will be version 17, according to Wikipedia. Every 7 weeks.